Super easy homemade cranberry sauce! Cinnamon spiced and sweetened with orange this cranberry sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tart!
Cranberry sauce is actually SO easy to make. I was shocked that it took me under 15 min and it was done! It’s also so much better than the canned stuff. Spend the extra 10 or so min and have some fresh cranberry sauce on the Thanksgiving table this year!
Cranberry sauce is truly under-appreciated. Even I was always hesitant about it in the past and I don’t even know why! My homemade cranberry sauce has the perfect blend of sweetness and tart. Orange zest and cinnamon is a show stopping combination.
Ingredients you’ll need for Cranberry Sauce
- Fresh Cranberries
- Apple Juice – I used Simply Apple
- Orange Zest
- Orange Juice
- Lemon Juice
- Granulated Sugar
- Cinnamon Sticks
How to make Cranberry Sauce
- First you’ll need to wash the cranberries
- Then put the cranberries in a medium pot over heat and add in apple juice
- Let them simmer for a little bit until they start to burst open
- Next you’ll add the orange zest, juice, granulated sugar and cinnamon sticks
- Stir and let simmer for a little longer until it starts to look gelatinous
- Remove cinnamon sticks and pour into a bowl
- Place on the dinner table and serve!
What to do with leftover Cranberry Sauce?
There are SO many different things you can do with your leftover cranberry sauce.
- First and foremost eat it with your thanksgiving leftovers (duh!)
- Put it on a ham sandwich with some melted brie (or any delicious cheese)
- Put it on top of some cream cheese or warm brie and make a nice cheese spread appetizer
- Cranberry Sauce muffins!
- Cranberry cheese cake
- Cranberry mustard dip (good for pretzels or a sandwich condiment)
- Use it as a salad topping for a nice fall cranberry salad
- The list could go on!
Let me know what you do with your leftovers!!
If you made this recipe I’d love to know your thoughts so please leave a comment below and don’t forget to tag me on instagram @day_lilly_
Want more Thanksgiving recipes? Click on the links below!
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
- Medium Pot
- 12 oz Fresh Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Apple Juice
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Orange For both zest and juice
- 1/4 Lemon
- A Pinch Ground Ginger
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- Rinse all fresh produce
- In a medium pot put in all cranberries, water and apple juice.
- Let simmer for a little bit until they start to burst open
- Add zest and juice of a whole orange, juice of a quarter of a lemon, sugar, ground ginger, and cinnamon sticks
- Whisk it all together and let simmer until it starts to look gelatinous
- Remove cinnamon sticks and pour into a serving bowl
- Place on dinner table and serve!